Skip To Main Content

History of Buder

About Buder Elementary School

Buder opened in 1939. Buder School, as it was originally known, was named in honor of Hugo F. Buder, a member of Ritenour’s Board of Education from 1932 to 1939. As president of the school board, Buder had been instrumental in obtaining the property for the new school.

In 1949, Buder was one of four buildings in the Ritenour School District to get an addition to accommodate post World War II growth. It continued to grow with twin four-room additions at both the east and west ends of the building. In 1960, a new auditorium was built at the school.

In August 1980, the Board of Education voted to close the school at the end of the 1980-81 school year. During the next five years, the building served several functions. In October 1981, the school was leased to Columbia College.

The Board unanimously voted to reopen Buder in September of 1986 as one of the district’s elementary schools. A 1990 bond issue enabled the addition of a second gymnasium, music and art rooms, and other space at a cost of $913,000.

Among the school’s 10 principals, Barbara Holman served the longest, for 20 years from 1952 to 1972. Former Principal Dr. Chris Kilbride served from 2007 to 2012 before becoming the district superintendent in 2012. The current principal is Dr. LaKisha Franks.